National Smart Vehicle Demonstration & Integration Trial: Phase I
The National Smart Vehicle Demonstration and Integration Trial: Phase I will integrate standardized and interoperable autonomous, low-speed, electrified vehicle shuttles (e-LSAs) in multiple Canadian municipal jurisdictions as first-mile/last-mile applications.
The objective of the project is to standardize connected and automated vehicle (CAV) technologies for the purposes of multi-manufacturer interoperability for transit fleet applications. The standardization objectives are: (1) integrated standardized dedicated short-range communication (DSRC) vehicle-to-vehicle (V2V) and vehicle-to-infrastructure (V2I) communication; (2) robust cybersecurity levels across vehicles and infrastructure; (3) standardized electric automated charging systems; and (4) a single fleet management software.
IP and Research Outcomes:
- Demonstrate the application of e-LSAs as first-mile/last-mile solutions complementary to existing public transit services.
- Integrate standardized DSRC systems for V2V and V2I communication.
- Ensure robust levels of cybersecurity across vehicles and infrastructure.
- Integrate standards for automated charging infrastructure across e-LSA manufacturers.
- Determine a single fleet operating system for multiple manufacturer e-LSAs.
Elnaz Abotalebi – Smart Vehicle Project Lead